Wednesday 2 November 2011

An Intro

Hi, I'm David, a recent graduate who is staying in Ireland, well basically 'cos I like Ireland, and at this moment in time, I don't think anywhere else would suit my confused state. I have a music degree, and probably will go on to further study (only option, really!) but I just thought I'd write about my feelings as a graduate who is currently out of work, and where I see myself in five years, that age-old question asked in every interview so far!
Teaching seems like a good option for me, but also like the cop-out of most musicians, or maybe I shouldn't say that to alienate any teachers out there. At this stage in my life, teaching does seem a cop-out though, like I should be reaching for the stars, or some other such cliché. I think of Taylor Mali's poem, What Teachers Make, and feel like I'm being hard on myself, but sometimes I feel as a tenor who loves performing, I should be performing. I realise this isn't the main crux of most graduates problems, but maybe there are parallels in engingeering, law, or other fields where compromises are felt by people who had dreams, bah blah blah! But you know what I mean. I'd love some feedback on whether are are compromises and maybe we could spark some old-fashioned debate!
Signing off for now,
David

No comments:

Post a Comment