Monday 14 November 2011

As time goes by....!

I've had a few days off recently, and basically been doing absolutely nothing, when there are things to do that should be done. And that got me wondering, what is the worst thing about being a graduate? I have found a number of things that are pretty crap, especially after having a graduation last week.
Firstly, is the comradery. The fights, the laughs, the rivalries, the craic! Having met my classmates for a grad, it was the end of an era, even thought I'd miss the people I didn't like all those years!
College is a huge part of your life, those people that you meet are people who will more than likely be the best friends you will ever have, as you have the interest of whatever course you go into. And then you finish your course.......
It really is a bang straight down to Earth when you realise it. It may take a while to realise it, as you have the summer, but if you don't start another course, it's gonna hit ya like a steam train. It will never be the same again. Especially if you're someone like me, who has ABSOLUTELY no idea what I want to do with my life, those organised people probably won't find it as hard, or maybe they suppress it, I don't know how an organised brain works!
Now I'm not one to be all nostaligic, and I realise change is a good thing, and we all have to move on, BUT you also have to take a moment and realise that those years were probably some of the best times you'll ever have, and if you don't realise that, it may just come and hit you like that metaphoric steam train I mentioned!
I would love to know your thoughts, and if there are any other things you think are bad about the impending real world, and on the other side, the advantages of leaving that place where your lecturers looked down on you for using Wikipedia or not understanding the Harvard referencing system!

4 comments:

  1. I love it! but I've come to the realization that there will be many points in my life that i'm sat, wondering if this is the right road and if the people that I met on this journey to where I am got a better deal! It's not just the life of a graduate Dave, once you pass the graduation for a year of to it just becomes 'LIFE' <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. didnt like your blog man. Well. was a good read by its on the oposite end of the spectrum that i am sitting on. if your looking for an honest opinion seems you sent me the link. then here it is. pessimistic, i dont relate to your train metaphor. maybe its because iv been working, moving forward. losing and making friends all my life. struggled with the scum of Dublin and worked very hard to get to were i am now. i appreciate what i have way too much to dwell on what you talk about. and i guess i am one of thought "organized people" you mention. i have know what i wanted since i realize what hell i lived in back in Dublin when i was 13. granted these goals have grown and developed and bare little resemblance now but i am not only very happy with being a graduate. im very excited about where i am now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey guys cheers for comments, appreciate it. Kiaya, know what ya mean, but after college I suppose its probably the biggest realization of the 'real world', which can be scary, especially if ya don't know what you want to do with your life.
    Dean, happy that you're excited, but like you said, you're one of the lucky ones. We were lucky in that we did something that we loved, and you;re loving what you're doing now, and you're still in the same place, but there are many out there who do an arts/business/health/science degree, just for the sake of it, and leave college not having a notion what they want to do, and after all the work in college, it can be scary, and daunting for people.
    Appreciate all comments, old-fashioned debate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comment from John Boylan:
    It is an odd one when suddenly such a big thing in your life is completely gone. It generally takes me a number of months before the absence properly registers and then it really starts to feel like stuff happened a long time ago. It's great that the whole course was so close-knit in every way-we'll probably not get every one of us in the same place again for a long long time, but i think a lot of us will keep meeting up to hang out, catch performances, or whatever. I'm spending this year in England but every time i head home one of the first things I want to do is pop up to Dundalk to see who's about.

    ReplyDelete